FG to end amnesty programme in N’ Delta soon – Boroh

0
68

The Federal government says it is desirous to wind down its Presidential Amnesty Programme (PAP) in the Niger Delta region, Vanguard reports.

The Special Adviser to the president on Niger Delta and Coordinator Presidential Amnesty Programme, Brigadier General Paul Boroh (rtd) revealed this in Abuja on Wednesday, after a meeting with stakeholders to analyse the success of the programme. It will be recalled that the programme was established in 2009 by the late President Umaru Musa Yara’ dua and was meant to last for only three years.

Gen. Boroh said the programme has met its mandate of providing peace and stabilizing the Niger Delta security environment through its training and empowerment of ex-militants and is now due for termination. He explained that 92% (21,805) of those schooling abroad and those undergoing various skill training out of the 30,000 estimated beneficiaries had graduated leaving only 8% (8,195) to be engaged in agricultural programmes.