The Federal Government’s ban on the importation of dirty fuels into the country failed to come into effect on July 1, 2017 as announced in December last year, The Punch reports.
On December 1, 2016 in Abuja, Nigeria, Benin, Togo, Ghana and Cote d’Ivoire agreed to ban the importation of Europe’s dirty fuels, limiting sulphur in fuels from 3,000 parts per million to 50 ppm. The then Minister of Environment, Mrs. Amina Mohammed, said the enforcement of the ban in Nigeria would begin from July 1, 2017.
However, when contacted on Monday, the Assistant Director, Press, Federal Ministry of Environment, Mr. Atuora Obed, could not comment on the issue, saying, “My director is not around now.” The Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation is a major supplier of imported petroleum products in the country, supplying at least 50 per cent of the products in the market.
The Group General Manager, Group Public Affairs Division, NNPC, Mr. Ndu Ughamadu, said that he was aware that at the refineries, measures had been put in place to control quality to ensure that “we keep to the internationally acceptable sulphur content.” “But as regards imported products, I will find out from the unit responsible for it,” he added.